On Memorial Day, we take time to remember our fallen heroes and members of the Armed Forces. This day is a special one for our LSU community, as it takes us back to our beginnings as a military institution. Various spots on campus are dedicated to honoring these brave men and women who have served our country, not only on this Memorial Day holiday, but year-round.
The LSU Memorial Tower, or the campanelle – Italian for little bell – was one of the first structures completed on the present campus. It was built in 1923 and dedicated in 1926 as a memorial to those who gave their lives during World War I. It was paid for by the American Legion state wide and given to the university.
The LSU War Memorial, which sits in front of the Memorial Tower on the LSU Parade Ground, was dedicated on Oct. 8, 1998, in memory of those who gave their lives in military conflicts from World War II through the present day. The LSU Alumni Association raised the money necessary to construct the memorial and then devoted it to the university. Former President George H.W. Bush was the guest speaker for the formal dedication ceremonies.
The LSU Memorial Oak Grove, which is located just south of the present day Student Union, was dedicated in 1926. There are 30 trees, each dedicated to a fallen soldier who gave his life in service to the United States. One tree is dedicated to The Unknown, representing all who are missing in action and are remembered for their bravery.
The LSU Aircraft Memorial, a T-33 “T-Bird” jet located just outside of Tiger Stadium on South Stadium Road, was dedicated on Dec. 6, 1966, by Capt. Frank S. Hagan, squadron commander of the Arnold Air Society. It has remained on display for 35 years and stands as a war memorial to all LSU graduates who have lost their lives while defending the nation during the jet age.
Enjoy your Memorial Day, Tigers, and always remember our fallen heroes.
Information retrieved from http://www.lsu.edu/pa/facts/campus_history.shtml.